Course OutlineUS History 1 and 2; Global StudiesContact InformationOrange High School (973)677-4050Mr. Quinn, Room 123BE-mail: email@example.com
US History 1 & 2 and Global Studies are rigorous courses that aim to cultivate your knowledge of the world past and present. All the while, you will be participating in activities what will develop your English proficiency levels in all four domains of language (reading, writing, speaking, and listening). It is also meant to support you in your other general education classes through the development of critical thinking skills, academic vocabulary, reading, and writing skills. You will also utilize computer programs quite regularly to reinforce your English language learning experience.
Students will be able to:
- Recognize and use academic vocabulary
- Use note-taking, reading, and study strategies to succeed in all classes
- Write for a variety of purposes and audiences
- Use correct forms and vocabulary for a variety of speaking situations
- Recognize and use idiomatic expressions and text structures
- Use critical thinking in real-world applications.
-RESPECT (each other, yourself, and the classroom)
-Raise your hand to participate
-Do not talk while someone else is speaking
-Be on time and be present
-NO cellphones or headphones*
25% of the grade consists of tests (may include end of chapter assessment, unit, content District assessments.)
20% of the grade consists of quizzes (short assessments of targeted learning objectives.)
20% of the grade consists of classwork and participation (inclusive of discussions, teamwork, problem-solving daily Do Now entries, logs, assignments, demonstrations, skill applications…)
25% of the grade consists of Authentic Assessments (portfolios, performance assessments, exhibitions, research, projects, essays, book reports, speeches, 21st Century real world experiences…)
10% of the grade is Homework (vocabulary and grammar)
- Students are expected to attend class regularly and exhibit behavior conducive to learning.
- Students are to respect themselves, their fellow students, the teacher, and any visitors.
- Students are expected to bring materials to class.
- Students are to complete all assignments that were missed due to an absence from class.
- Students are to ask for additional assistance, directions, or clarification if needed.
- The teacher will notify students of their academic process on a regular basis.
- The teacher will be available for conferences with students and parents.
- The teacher will provide enough time and resources for students to complete assignments missed due to excused absences.
- The teacher will notify students and their parents on how to remediate academic deficiencies.
- The teacher will arrange for additional educational support for students requesting it.
- Parents will monitor student’s grades and attendance through the Parent Portal-Genesis (Parent Portal can be accessed through the Orange High School website https://www.orange.k12.nj.us/Domain/83
- Parents will monitor student’s assignments.
- Parents will contact the teacher with questions and concerns.
*Cell Phone Policy:
Cell phones should not be visible in the classroom. Cell phones are only permitted for translation purposes with permission directly from Mr. Quinn!