Dr. Nurka L. Nieves
Kindergarten - 5th
(973) 677 - 4000 Ext. 50504
6th - 12th
Office of Bilingual/ESL & World Languages
(973) 677- 4000 Ext. 50105
- Sustain high levels of academic and linguistic proficiency in both English and the home language(s).
- Provide sound pedagogical practices for teaching multilingual students.
- Equip students with a multi-sensory experience for fluency in all language domains.
- Provide opportunities for social cultural connections within the home-school community.
- Strengthen students’ knowledge, skills, and dispositions toward multilingualism.
- Center on Cross-Cultural and Cross-linguistic competencies.
- Concentrate on the demands of language learning for communication purposes with fluency in reading, listening, speaking, and writing.
- Work closely with ACTFL Performance Descriptors for Language Learners and its Core Ideas
- Focus on Language Proficiency Levels assessing students on ACTFL (2012) performance on Interpretive, Interpersonal, and Presentational Modes of Communication, in addition to proficiency in Novice Low, Novice Mid, Novice High, Intermediate Low, Intermediate Mid, Intermediate High, and Advanced Low.