Early Childhood EducationJacquelyn Blanton, Executive Director of Early Childhood LearningThe Orange Board of Education provides a full-day preschool education for all three and four-year-old residents of Orange. Currently, twenty-three in-district preschool classrooms are offered. In addition, the district collaborates with five licensed community childcare programs and Head Start. There is no fee for the school day (8:30-3:20). Before and after school care is available. The fee for this additional program is based upon income eligibility.
Our mission is to develop bright, confident, compassionate, happy, and socially and emotionally well-adjusted young scholars. Scholars who are filled with the joy of learning and empowered to use their creativity, exploration, and forward-thinking skills to transform the world to make it a better place for everyone. We expect our young scholars to soar to their greatest potential and become bright shining lights in society with the ability to successfully compete in the 21st century global economy.
Our mission is to build the capacity of young learners by utilizing a strength-based approach to teaching and learning that emphasize: (1) equitable and meaningful learning experiences, (2) positive teacher-scholar relationships, (3) culturally responsive teaching, (4) developmentally appropriate practices, and (5) play in safe and nurturing learning environments. Our mission is to support teachers in cultivating a culture that builds essential early academic foundational skills, social and emotional skills, and physical skills that will inspire young learners and prepare them to become dynamic leaders of tomorrow.
Focused, Intentional, and Targeted (F.I.T.)
Continuum of Learning
Hustle, Execute, and Grind!
Current Locations of Preschool Classes:
Blessed Hope Day Care Center
Forest Street Community School
- Heywood Avenue Elementary School
- Oakwood Avenue Community School
- Orange Early Childhood Center (OECC)
- OECC at Scholars Academy
- John Robert Lewis Early Childhood Center
- Norjenes Day Care Center
- Montclair Child Development Center/Head Start
- Valley Settlement House
- West Orange Community House
Preschool Registration Requirements
- Three years of age by October 1st
- Four years of age by October 1st
- Must be a resident of Orange Township
- Original birth certificate
- Child’s immunization record
- Current lease or mortgage statement
- Two CURRENT proofs of residency (PSE&G bill, telephone or cable bill - no cell phone bill, please)
- If you are living with a friend or relative in a private home, the homeowner must provide proof of residency. Additionally, the landlord or managing agency must complete the Landlord Affidavit (provided by the Board of Education).
- Picture ID
Please contact the Office of Early Childhood for more information about the preschool program or the registration schedule. We look forward to meeting you and your child!