Early Childhood EducationJacqueline Blanton, PrincipalThe Orange Board of Education provides a full-day preschool education for all three and four-year-old residents of Orange. Currently, twenty-three in-district preschool classrooms are offered. In addition, the district collaborates with five licensed community childcare programs and Head Start. There is no fee for the school day (8:30-3:00). Before and after school care is available. The fee for this additional program is based upon income eligibility.
The Orange Board Of Education staff strives to provide a quality educational opportunity for all three and four-year-old children who are residents of the city of Orange Township and to maximize their individual cognitive, physical, and social-emotional potential by utilizing a developmentally appropriate approach that is supported by a comprehensive research-based curriculum and The NJ Preschool Teaching and Learning Expectations: Standards of Quality.
Basic Principles and Philosophies
- We believe that all children deserve equal opportunity to develop personally through a quality preschool educational experience.
- We believe that a developmental approach to preschool education supported by a comprehensive research-based curriculum provided educational opportunities that allow for success in life.
- We believe that all children should be provided with a quality educational environment that promotes his/her cognitive, and social-emotional growth.
- We believe that high-quality preschool programs have a positive impact on the student as well as the entire community.
The Orange Public School Administration and the Board of Education selected High/Scope as the comprehensive curriculum model for all district and community preschool classrooms. This research-based model promotes a high-quality preschool educational program and is in alignment with the New Jersey Preschool Teaching and Learning Expectations: Standards of Quality. The High/Scope curriculum is cognitively oriented and is based on the work of Jean Piaget, Lev Vygotsky, and others. The approach supports children as they become active learners who choose and manipulate materials and have the opportunity to use and develop language and thinking skills. The High/Scope approach to early childhood education provides a framework for teachers to work in a developmentally appropriate manner.
A major focus of the High/Scope curriculum is the daily routine. The daily routine provides the building blocks for learning throughout the day. As children follow the predictable routine they acquire knowledge. The High/Scope curriculum model is centered around 58 Key Developmental Indicators. The Key Developmental Indicators are aligned with the Preschool Teaching and Learning Expectations: Standards of Quality and focus on five main curriculum content areas: approaches to learning; language, literacy, & communication; social and emotional development; physical development, health, and well-being; and arts and sciences.
Current Locations of Preschool Classes:
Blessed Hope Day Care Center
Forest Street Community School
- Heywood Avenue Elementary School
- Oakwood Avenue Community School
- Orange Early Childhood Center (OECC)
- OECC at Scholars Academy
- Rosa Parks Community School
- Norjenes Day Care Center
- Montclair Child Development Center/Head Start
- Valley Settlement House
- West Orange Community House
Preschool Registration Requirements for the 2019-2020 School Year
- Three years of age by October 1, 2019
- Four years of age by October 1, 2019
- Must be a resident of Orange Township
- Original birth certificate
- Child’s immunization record
- Current lease or mortgage statement
- Two CURRENT proofs of residency (PSE&G bill, telephone or cable bill - no cell phone bill, please)
- If you are living with a friend or relative in a private home, the homeowner must provide proof of residency. Additionally, the landlord or managing agency must complete the Landlord Affidavit (provided by the Board of Education).
- Picture ID
Please contact the Office of Early Childhood for more information about the preschool program or the registration schedule. We look forward to meeting you and your child!