Welcome Back Park Avenue Families! My name is Doreen Cruz-Delgado and I am a Bilingual (Spanish/English) Speech-Language Pathologist at the Park Avenue School and the transitional Early Intervention evaluator on the Preschool Team. I have worked in the Orange Public School District for almost 15 years. I am very excited to be here, and I look forward to a very productive year! I obtained my Bachelor of Arts in Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology from Brooklyn College; my Master of Science in Communication Disorders from Hunter College, and the Certificate of Clinical Competence from the American Speech Language and Hearing Association.
This is a brief overview of what my role here is at school.
What is a speech-language pathologist (SLP)? An SLP is a highly trained professional who evaluates and treats children and adults who have difficulty with speech or language. Although people often think of speech and language as the same thing, the terms have very different meanings. If your child has trouble with speech, he/ she may struggle with the “how-to” of talking—the coordination of the muscles and movements necessary to produce certain speech sounds. If your child has trouble with language, he/she may struggle with understanding what he/she hears or sees. He or she may also struggle with finding the right words and/or organizing those words in a meaningful way to communicate a message or hold a conversation. Below is a list of common speech and language disorders with a brief explanation of each.
- Articulation - the way we say our speech sounds
- Phonology - the speech patterns we use
- Apraxia - difficulty planning and coordinating the movements needed to make speech sounds
- Fluency - stuttering
- Voice - problems with the way the voice sounds, such as hoarseness
- Receptive Language - difficulty understanding language
- Expressive Language - difficulty using language
- Pragmatic Language - social communication; the way we speak to each other
Have a wonderful school year!
Doreen Cruz-Delgado, MS, CCC-SLPBilingual Speech-Language PathologistRoom email@example.com(973) 677-4000 x 4058