Doreen Cruz-DelgadoBilingual Speech-Language Pathologist(973) 677-4000 x email@example.comDear Parents and Students,Welcome Back!I am so excited to start the new year and looking forward to seeing all my students. I will be connected to each of your child's classroom teacher via ClassDojo, which will allow you to communicate with me and view messages. I encourage all parents to connect to ClassDojo as communication is an integral part of your child's success. You can additionally reach out to me at my email address or via phone at the above listed number. I look forward to an exciting and productive year.Below you'll find a brief summary of what a speech pathologist (therapist) is and disorders we treat to provide clarity on some terminology used within our discipline.
What is a speech-language pathologist (SLP)? An SLP is a highly trained professional who evaluates and treats children and adults who have difficulty with speech or language. Although people often think of speech and language as the same thing, the terms have very different meanings. If your child has trouble with speech, he/ she may struggle with the “how-to” of talking—the coordination of the muscles and movements necessary to produce certain speech sounds. If your child has trouble with language, he/she may struggle with understanding what he/she hears or sees. He or she may also struggle with finding the right words and/or organizing those words in a meaningful way to communicate a message or hold a conversation. Below is a list of common speech and language disorders with a brief explanation of each.
- Articulation - the way we say our speech sounds
- Phonology - the speech patterns we use
- Apraxia - difficulty planning and coordinating the movements needed to make speech sounds
- Fluency - stuttering
- Voice - problems with the way the voice sounds, such as hoarseness
- Receptive Language - difficulty understanding language
- Expressive Language - difficulty using language
- Pragmatic Language - social communication; the way we speak to each other