Orange Public Schools
Good to Great
- Orange Public Schools
Orange School District Guidance and Resources on the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (See Coronavirus Updates provided in this section)
Orange School District Guidance and Resources on the 2019 Novel Coronavirus
The Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) was first detected in Wuhan, Hubei Province, China, in December 2019. On February 3, 2020, the New Jersey Department of Education released updated advice for individuals who have traveled to and from mainland China based on the latest medical advice.
The risk to the general public remains low. There is no specific antiviral treatment recommended at this time. The Orange School district will continue to monitor the situation and follow the guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the New Jersey Department of Health and the New Jersey Department of Education.
Can my child attend a school or early childhood center if my child has been diagnosed with Coronavirus?
Under the following circumstances, you cannot attend a school or early childhood centers:
If a student has traveled from Wuhan, Hubei Province, China within the past two weeks or has been in close contact with an individual who has traveled from Wuhan, Hubei Province, China within the last two weeks. Our district doctor recommends that you must be in isolation until 14 days have elapsed after leaving Hubei Province.
As a parent, what steps should I follow if my child is returning from China?
- Contact your child’s physician immediately for a consultation, even if your child is not currently showing symptoms, and inform them about your travels.
- Contact the school nurse
If you have been in close contact with an infected individual, you should contact your physician prior to going to the office and inform the office of your symptoms.
What are the symptoms?
Symptoms include (but are not limited to) fever, cough, sore throat, fatigue, and shortness of breath.
How can the spread of the 2019-nCoV be prevented?
- Avoid contact with others who are sick.
- Do not travel if you are sick.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands).
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Use an alcohol‐based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available.
- Clean and disinfect touched surfaces often
The New Jersey Department of Education has established a hotline to answer questions about the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (1-800-222-1222). The hotline is available 24 hours a day with trained healthcare professionals to answer any additional questions in multiple languages.
The safety of all our students and staff will continue to be a priority. If any information changes, you will be updated accordingly.
Additional information can be accessed from the websites below regarding the 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- CDC Coronavirus Frequently Asked Questions
- CDC Coronavirus Guidance for Prevention (February 1, 2020)
- NJDOE Corona Virus Guidance & Resources and Updates
- NJ Department of Health Coronavirus Fact Sheet
- NJDOH Coronavirus Information for K-12 Schools - Managing Students (Travelers) Returning from China*
*The information above is current as of February 5, 2020. Additional may be obtained from the New Jersey Department of Health Website, which is listed above.
Please see the link below for updated information from the NJ Department of Education:
- Essex County Coronavirus Fact Sheet
- Coronavirus Employee Traveler FAQ
- Coronavirus Student Traveler FAQ