Orange Preparatory Academy, Orange, NJ Mr. Popp, Language Arts Teacher
Course Expectations: Honors 8th Grade English/Language Arts Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Course Website: https://www.orange.k12.nj.us/Domain/2622
How To Succeed In This Class:
- Prepare. Do the homework (this includes reading) and bring required supplies (see list at right) to class every day.
- Work hard. Do your best on each assignment, whether it’s an essay or an in-class writing.
- Meet expectations. Check the expectations we developed as a class; you are responsible for meeting them!
- Communicate politely. If something is unclear or is making you unhappy, let me know in a polite and respectful way. If it’s still unclear, see me after class or after school.
- An independent reading book: this book is a required supply every day – no exceptions.
- A black or blue pen, or a pencil.
- A notebook or binder section that is for this class only.
- Headphones or earbuds.
- A folder in which to keep course handouts and returned work.
- Two packs of Post-it notes.
Grading: Your grade in this class is calculated according to the following categories. These categories are district policy and are not negotiable:
- Tests: 25%
- Quizzes: 20%
- Class Work and Participation: 20%
- Authentic Assessments: 25%
- Homework: 10%
Academic Integrity: You are required to submit your own original work. Plagiarism and cheating of any kind will not be tolerated.
Any student who plagiarizes an assignment for the first time will be required to redo and resubmit the assignment for a reduced grade.
Plagiarism on any subsequent assignments will result in a zero and a phone call home.
Curriculum: Our four units are Finding Your Path (informational and argument writing); The Thrill of Horror (literary analysis and narrative writing); The Fight for Racial Justice (informational and argument writing); and Places We Call Home (narrative writing). Texts from our HMH resource are supplemented by district and teacher-created materials.
Independent Reading: Per school-wide expectations, students will read two (2) choice texts each month and log their progress on Reading Rewards during designated independent reading times in class. These are books that students choose to read based on interest and can include any text from graphic novels and magazines to classical literature. Students are welcome to bring in books from home, borrow a book from my classroom library, or borrow a text from the Orange Prep library located on the 2nd floor.
Remember: success in this class is as simple as preparing, working hard, meeting expectations, and communicating politely.