"Strategies for building positive, compassionate classroom communities that engage learners."
- Know your students.
- Create a consistent routine.
- Plan every class.
- Provide a “warm-up” that the students expect and enjoy.
- Write the objective for the day on your board.
- Stand at the door and greet students by name.
- Create an environment that is safe for all students. Lovingly demand it.
- Address conflict quickly and calmly. Have the longer conversations, if necessary, at the end of class or outside the classroom.
- Assess student learning at the end of the class with an exit ticket.
- Take that extra minute when a student has done something exceptionally well or overachieved to write the student a note or an email, or to send one to the parents as a ‘good news’ missive.