Individual Counseling Services
As the School Counselor, I offer school-based counseling, intervention, and prevention services to all students. The first step is to build a positive and collaborative rapport with the student. Students can seek one on one help in order to help the student deal with emotional, social and personal, and academic issues . My purpose is to assist the students in making positive social, emotional, and academic adjustments and to provide students with information about themselves in order to help them make realistic plans. In each counseling session, you are always working for an end goal. For example: building positive relationships, getting involved in extracurricular activities, getting better grades, and/or making better choices.
Group Counseling Services
As the School Counselor, I am committed to helping all of our students develop the social, emotional, and academic skills needed for them to become healthy, competent, and confident learners. Small groups help students navigate their words so that their primary school experience is the best it can be. Small counseling groups provide not only the opportunity for additional learning experiences but also a time for growing together with fellow students. Small groups give students a feeling of belonging, a chance to express themselves, and the benefit of support from their fellow group members. Please feel free to reach out to me if you think that your child(ren) would benefit from the types of groups I run below.
- Making Friends/Social Skills - This group is for students who can offer social guidance or are in need of social guidance when it comes to managing friendships. Students can benefit from having some of the basic social skills reinforced and practiced.
- Smooth Transitions: This group will help students express their concerns and worries about entering a new environment or living arrangement. The group will discuss peer relationships, peer pressure, changes, time management, and many other topics that can be related to entering a new situation.
- Uniquely Me: This group will give students the opportunity to feel empowered, gain, confidence, and self-awareness, develop coping strategies, improve problem-solving skills, and learn to make healthy decisions through engaging activities.
- Control Your Steam: This impulse control group will help students better understand their feelings so that they make healthy and successful choices. Students will learn appropriate ways to express anger and develop practical skills and strategies to manage their feelings.
- Worry Warriors: This group is designed for children who experience feelings of social or academic anxiety. Students will be lead through activities to take control of their worries and practice positive coping skills.
- Just Us Girls: The goal of the group would be to promote the value of inclusiveness, empowerment, respect, and mindfulness to transform the girl community! They will practice showing compassion, reframing pessimistic or negative views to build an attitude of optimism, learn how to communicate their feelings in a positive way, embrace diversity, and explore actions that empower girls!
- Life Skills Group: An opportunity for students to learn about and discuss challenges within their school/home life.
As I work with you and your child, please be assured that I am bound by the Code of Ethics of the American School Counselor Association. Parent and child’s confidentiality is protected to the extent allowed by law and school policy. Helping children meet their fullest potential is a combined effort of school and home. Counselors respect the privacy of information, always considering actions in terms of rights, integrity, and the welfare of students. Counselors are obligated by ethical standards to report or to refer a case when a person's welfare is in jeopardy. It is a counselor's duty to inform an individual under these conditions: harm to self, harm to others, harm by others, and destruction of New Jersey Public Property.