Dear Parents/Guardians and Students,
WELCOME TO THE LINCOLN AVENUE SCHOOL VISUAL ARTS PROGRAM!
The goals for this school year are set by New Jersey Department of Education Standards and the Orange Public Schools Curriculum, which includes drawing, painting, sculpture, pottery, two- and three- dimensional art, mural project, knitting, art history and art from various cultures. We ask parents to take the time to reinforce art skills at home and support students by attending the Art Exhibits and Performing Arts Events. If you would like to volunteer to hang up artwork, help with preparations for art shows, projects in class or community projects, please contact the office.
WHAT IS HAPPENING THIS YEAR?
- CURRICULUM: We look forward to a productive and exciting year. We foster a safe, positive and productive environment for the students, so that they can express their thoughts, ideas, creativity and feelings through the arts. Art is used across the curriculum, incorporating Math, Science, Art History, Language Arts, and Social Studies. Students will explore the world around them, learn the elements of design and principles of art, and learn to critique and use various art tools, media and techniques.
- MATERIALS: Please provide pencils, eraser, sharpener, ruler, folder, sketch book ,and a black sharpie for art class. Please remind students to bring a pencil and sketchbook to art class. They can also bring their personal markers, crayons or colored pencils, if desired. Also, some art projects are messy; you may want to send an old t-shirt or smocks with your child to wear in art class. Tag with his/her name and grade.
- RECYCLED MATERIALS: If you have any old newspapers, magazines, old picture frames, plastic bottles, poster board or any art materials at home, please feel free to donate them to visual arts department for student art projects.
- GRADING : Students are graded on a 4-Point Rubric, based on effort, following directions, organization, working in groups, clean up after work, participation, tests and completion of art projects.
(4=Proficient, 3=Approaching Proficiency, 2=Satisfactory, 1=Needs Improvement)
- UPCOMING VISUAL&PERFORMING ART EVENTS:
September 19th, 2018. Lincoln Art Exhibit at the Board of Education Lobby, 6pm
October 2018 Latin American Art Exhibit (Hispanic Heritage Celebration). TBA
December 18th, 2018 Winter Art Exhibit &Winter Concert at Lincoln Ave School. 5:30pm
February, 2019 African & African American Art Exhibit (Black History Month Celebration)-TBA
June 4th, 2019 Lincoln Spring Art Show &Spring Concert, 6pm. TBA
Thank you for your time and participation. We look forward to a productive and creative school year.
Please feel free to contact us!
Mrs. Monica Chavarria
Art Teacher - Room C302