Welcome to the 2020 - 2021 school year!
Let's work hard and rock this year out!
"Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world."
- Harriet Tubman
Mrs. Shireen Griffith
Phone: (908) 517 3312
Office Hours: 1:45pm - 3:20pm
September 8, 2020
Dear Kindergarten Families,
Welcome to the 2020 – 2021 school year! I am Mrs. Shireen Griffith, and I am elated to be your Kindergarten teacher this year. I have been an NYC middle school and elementary teacher for 5 years and this is my 2ndyear here at Heywood Elementary School. I am very excited to work with your scholars. Mrs. Deborah Moore is our Kindergarten Paraprofessional who has 34 years of experience working with this grade level. She looks forward to another great year with your precious little ones.
I am looking forward to assisting your children as they develop a greater knowledge in all subject areas as well as increasing their skills in Reading, Writing, and Math concepts. As we hold your scholars to high expectations, we look forward to your support in completing daily homework which includes nightly reading. To facilitate in your scholars’ success at Heywood Elementary, we request that you monitor what we are doing in class and utilize all the online resources available to your family through Clever, Google Classroom and Class Dojo. We expect to have an exciting year filled with many fun activities designed for your scholar. For your convenience, we have compiled a folder of documents which you may reference to stay connected to us as well as packets (to complement the packaged manipulatives) that we will be using throughout the next couple of months in our various subject areas. Also, for ease of reference, please find below a copy of your Kindergartener’s class schedule.
On Tuesday, September 8, 2020 we will be having our first class with our brand new Kindergarteners. Please be advised that we will begin promptly at 8:30am on this day (and every day following). Please log-in to your child's google account first (see Class Dojo messages for account info) and then use the link below to join. I implore you to be on-time. We want to start the year off strong.
Google meet link to Kindergarten class:Please contact me via class dojo for the link
If you are new to Google Meet, please consider attempting to log in before our class time to ensure that you are able to join successfully. If you have any difficulty or need any other information, please feel free to contact me via Class Dojo or email, email@example.com. (Please note that once the class has begun, it will be difficult for me to assist you in real time).
Thank you so much for your cooperation and we appreciate you for all of the time you have and will continue to invest in your child’s education, especially in these unprecedented times. We are so excited to meet all of you!
Shireen Griffith (Mrs.)
Kindergarten Schedule - Mrs. Griffith (Room 114)
8:20 - 8:30
8:30 - 9:15
9:20 - 10:05
10:10 - 10:55
11:00 - 11:45
11:45 - 12:30
VM (S1)/ IM (S2)
- Be sure to take care of my personal hygiene, get dressed and eat breakfast by 8:25 am. LOG INto my 8:30 AM Google Meet ON TIME
- I can not attend class in my pajamas ANDI must sit at a table or desk at all times during virtual instruction.
- Keep my chromebook plugged in during school hours, sit at my workspace with all of my instructional materials and actively participate in class with my camera on.
- No TV or music can be on while I’m attending my daily classes. Remove any distractions from my learning environment.
- Take my lunch from 12:30 - 1:00 pm and engage in 20 minutes of recess (indoor or outdoor).
- Complete any homework assignments I was given ANDsubmit them by the deadline provided by my teacher.
- Check my Google Classroom “assignments” page and make sure I have “turned in” COMPLETED assignments (no blank documents)
- Complete 15 minutes of IREADYevery day. Complete 15 minutes of IREAD, System44, Scholastic Literacy Proor Reading Plusevery day.
- Office hours with teachers will take place daily from 2:00 - 3:20 pm. I can ask questions via email or open Google Meet sessions. If I have a question about an assignment, I need to use this time to seek help from my teachers.
**WEDNESDAYS will become asynchronous (no live teaching) starting on OCTOBER 5th.
Please ensure that you stay informed with what is happening in our class. Messages will be posted on our Class Story on Class Dojo daily.
Parents are expected to take a picture of the completed work and send in a PRIVATE MESSAGE to the teacher on Class Dojo or email at firstname.lastname@example.org to be assessed by the teacher.
Degrees and Certifications: