Welcome to 3rd Grade Math & Science!
Dear Students, Parents, and Guardians:
Welcome back to Heywood! Let's get EXCITED!!! My name is Mrs. Joyce Daniels and I am so happy to have your child in my Math and Science classes! I am looking forward to a productive, exciting, and fun year!
In order to align with Common Core State Standards and prepare students for college and career readiness, the Orange School District will begin implementing a NEW Math Curriculum (Illustrative Math) in Grades K - 5 and continue implementing the Next Generation Science Standards (FOSS), which will challenge students to think critically, communicate effectively, collaborate openly, and work creatively.
In order for your child to meet and exceed all of the expectations successfully:
· Please encourage your child to complete their written homework independently. I would like each child to understand that it is okay to make mistakes. Most importantly it is crucial for your child’s learning to learn from their mistakes! =)
· Please begin practicing your 0, 1, 2, 5, and 10 times table with your child. Do they see a pattern?
· Students are expected to come to class on time, in proper uniform attire. Cell phones/electronics are not permitted for use in class unless under my explicit instructions.
· Students are expected to bring to class each day: a notebook, 2 sharpened pencils, an eraser, folder, and workbook.
· Pencil sharpening is encouraged to be done at home.
· Students are expected to ask for help or clarification. If a student needs help after school, special arrangements can be made in advance.
· Students will be assigned homework on a daily basis (Monday – Thursday). They are responsible for completing daily assignments (including daily multiplication fluency practice) and computer programs (I-ready, Readorium, etc…).
· Keeping up with the required computer programs is essential to their grades (50 minutes on Iready weekly/2 or more lessons and 30 minutes on Readorium).
· Assignments must be completed on time. They are the essential to meeting and exceeding grade-level expectations directly aligned to the Common Core State Standards.
· When completing assignments, it is important that students take their time, and do not rush. This will ensure their answers are complete, accurate, neatly written, and well-thought through. Students should be able to show their work and explain their thinking.
· Parents and students are encouraged to check ClassDojo daily for assignments and due dates as well as monitor grades through Genesis.
I truly believe that student success is based on the cooperative efforts of parents, teachers, and the students. A well-known African proverb, that has stood the test of time, states, “It takes a village to raise a child.” I strongly agree that by working together we can build a strong, supportive environment for our children. I highly encourage you to review homework and class notes with your child on a daily basis. Please do not hesitate to contact me with questions and/or concerns via email: email@example.com.
Mrs. Joyce Daniels
3rd Grade - Mathematics/Science Teacher