Civics Topics Overview
Unit 1: The Foundations of Citizenship
- What are some of the reasons why people immigrate?
- What are the foundations and responsibilities of citizenship?
- How do values affect citizens’ responsibilities within a society?
Unit 2: The Constitution and the Bill of Rights
- What might life be like if there was no national government to protect and unite a group of people?
- How does the government embody the purposes, values, and principles of the citizens’ dream?
- How does a constitution remain a living or a not a living document?
Unit 3: Federal, State, and Local Government
- What roles do the legislative, executive, and judicial branches each take in creating a balanced government?
- How does the system of checks and balances allow governments to meet the needs of all citizens?
- How do the powers of the federal government allow for state and local governments to exist and meet the needs of citizens at those levels?
- How do state laws co-exist with federal laws?
Unit 4: Economics, Government, and Personal Finance
- What is an economic system?
- What role do producers and consumers take in an economy?
- How does the availability of resources effect economic decisions?
- How much can a business be regulated in a democratic government?
- Are there limits to government activity in the economy?
- How do financial institutions affect the economy?
- How can government spending affect the economy?
- How does a country calculate its Gross Domestic Product? (GDP)