BILINGUAL/ESL & WORLD LANGUAGES PROGRAMS
Supervisor of Bilingual/ESL/World Languages Programs
Nurka L. Nieves, Ed.D.
(973) 677-4000 ext. 50504
9:00 am - 11:00 am
1:00 pm - 4:00 pmIndicated below are the steps used for the identification of students eligible for Bilingual and/or ESL Language Services:
- Upon entering the Orange School District, students must register at the district registrar's office in the age-appropriate grade.
- The parent/guardian registering the student must complete a Home Language Survey form, stating the language spoken at home and the student's primary language.
- If the home language is other than English, the Bilingual/ESL Office will conduct the language proficiency test using the WIDA Model.
- If the student is deemed non-English proficient or limited-English proficient, a recommendation is made to the parent/guardian for the Bilingual and/or ESL programs.
- The parents of the eligible students are informed of the language services available to them and their rights as parents. Parents of an eligible student can accept or decline the services offered to them.
- If the parent accepts the language services, his/her child is placed in one of the schools where the language services are available.
If a parent declines the services offered, he/she must sign a waiver form, waiving the services being offered. Parents who waive or withdraw their child from ELL services, must understand that their students will be identified as ELLs who refused services yearly until the student’s academic performance is grade-level appropriate. The student will be assessed using the ACCESS until he/she scores 4.5.If a parent declines the services offered, he/she must sign a waiver form, waiving the services being offered.
Parents who waive or withdraw their child from ELS, may have their students identified yearly until the student’s academic performance is grade-level appropriate.
Bilingual and/or ESL programs are found at:
- Central Elementary School: K– 2 Bilingual Spanish and ESL services grades K – 2
- Rosa Parks: Grade 3 Bilingual Spanish; Newcomers grades 4 – 7 and ESL grades 3 - 7
- Oakwood Avenue School: Bilingual Haitian-Creole – Grades K – 3 and ESL Services K – 7
- Heywood Elementary School: ESL Only services grades K – 7
- Lincoln Elementary School: K – 3 Bilingual Spanish and ESL services grades K – 7
- Cleveland Street School: ESL services only grades K– 7
- Park Ave School: ESL only services grades K – 7
- Forrest Street Community School: ESL only services grades K – 7
- Orange Preparatory Academy: Newcomers’ Academy & ESL services Grades 8 & 9
- Orange High School: Newcomers’ Academy & ESL services grades 10 - 12
Listed below are the steps that are taken to exit a candidate from the Bilingual and/or ESL Programs. There are five criteria for exiting the Bilingual/ESL Programs:
- English Language Proficiency in the ACCESS for ELLs (New Jersey assessment to measure English Language Acquisition)
- Performance in New Jersey Standardized Tests
- Reading Level
- Classroom Performance
- Teacher Judgment