Articles: The importance of learning a new language.
The Following articles are sources from " Middlebury Interactive Languages."
- 5 Reasons Everyone Should Know at Least Two Languages
- People who know two (or more) languages can perform a host of super human
feats. They can order dinner in another country without accidentally getting broiled
squid. They can make friends with people from different cultures and countries.
They can also ask for directions to the restroom and actually end up in the
restroom. In our opinion, everyone should learn another language!
- Students who study a world
language for just one year score
an average of 38 points higher on
the SATs. (Even cooler: Students
who took four years of a world
language showed scores that were
more than a hundred points higher
- 2012: The year that researchers at the University
of Cambridge discovered that people who
know two languages are nicer. According to the
research, bilingual folks are better able to tolerate
differences and find solutions to conflict.
Eight hundred thirty-five 11-year-olds were tested
on their cognitive ability in Scotland in 1947. Between
2008 and 2010, those same people were retested
when they were in their seventies. Of the 835 case
studies, 260 knew at least two languages. THOSE
260 PEOPLE TESTED SIGNIFICANTLY HIGHER
IN COGNITIVE FUNCTION THAN THEIR
SOLELY ENGLISH-SPEAKING PEERS.
- DO YOU EVER
FIND IT HARD TO
DO TWO THINGS
PEOPLE WHO KNOW TWO
LANGUAGES ARE NICER.
The National Institutes
of Health discovered that
people who speak more
than one language are
much better at multitasking,
which means walking on
your hands while chewing
gum should be a breeze.
According to an MIT study,
people who know two or
more languages earn an
average of $128,000 more
in their lifetimes.
- 5 Ways Being Bilingual Makes You Smarter
- People who know two (or more) languages are just plain smart. They can tell the difference between “embarazada” and “embarrassed.” They can ace their math test and their science test all in the same day. They can even impress their friends with extraordinary feats of vocabulary as they discern new words from second-language roots. In our opinion, bilingual people are just plain smart
- 5 Reasons Knowing a World Language Makes You More Creative
- People who know two or more languages make our world more colorful. They can tell you about early Renaissance art and can also pronounce the names of the artists ... correctly. They can speak with a flourish and cadence that sounds like a classic song. They can even whip up a batch of chocolate éclairs that would make you say “ooh la la!” In our opinion, people who speak more than one language are some of the most creative in the world.